Photos courtesy of Jazzkaar: Amadou & Mariam; and Lizz Wright.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Estonia — Harjumaa|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Tallinn, Harjumaa, Estonia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Jazzkaar (Jazz Arc over Estonia) was initiated in 1990 by Uno Naissoo and Valter Ojakäär. Jazzkaar moves to the seashore! Besides the capital Tallinn the festival visits also other Estonian cities. The sun is rising higher and the days growing longer are always sure signs that the time of Estonia’s biggest jazz party, Jazzkaar, is drawing ever nearer. This year Jazzkaar has a brand new home by the sea — a specially built unique Marina Pavilion at the Tallinn Harbor grounds. The elegant 1170 m2 pavilion accommodates 1000 listeners and creates a wonderful festival ground with its cozy audience area, cafes, exhibitions and the environment surrounding it — it fills all the needs of the festival and gives the visitors an opportunity to enjoy the combination of a maritime city and jazz music.
|Festival Dates||April 18 - 27, 2014|
- Jan Garbarek Group featuring Trilok Gurtu (Norway-India)
- Lizz Wright (USA)
- The Brand New Heavies (UK)
- Amadou & Mariam (Mali)
The opening concert of the festival will feature the world music group Amadou & Mariam who are touring Europe with their new album. The superstars of the band, two blind Mali-born musicians, have sung themselves to the hearts of the audiences all over the world.
- Focus on Youth
- The first weekend of the festival will focus on young audiences and also young musicians. Festival 12 Points presents three of last year’s best emerging European jazz bands Kaja Draksler Acropolis Quintet (Slovenia), Elifantree (Finland-Sweden) and MeTal-O-PhoNe (France). The youngest music lovers will receive a musical gift from the loveliest Danish band Djanzz, which takes the children and their parents to a land of funny fantasies. On Sunday, April 22nd Jazzkaar discovers an old district of Tallinn – Kalamaja. There will be many intriguing places to explore and several concerts fitting the atmosphere with free admission. The Marina Pavilion will also host a free concert by the new and unique Folk Orchestra.
- Estonian musicians
- The artists will be performing a number of fascinating projects, such as the Estonian Vocal Gala with 10 wonderful female singers, Tõnis Mägi with a big blues band, Estonian bass aces with Aces of Basses etc. The festival also presents the Young Jazz Talent 2011 Joel Rasmus Remmel with his trio, Oleg Pissarenko, Jaak Sooäär, Raivo Tafenau, Meelis Vind, Villu Veski and many others.
- The varied directions and the highest level of modern European jazz will be represented by such bands as Das Kapital (Germany-France-Denmark), Tingvall Trio (Germany), The Flow (Austria), Jo Stance (Finland), Vigleik Storaas Trio (Norway), and of course this year’s main attractions and superstars Jan Garbarek Group (Norway) featuring the famous Indian percussion guru Trilok Gurtu and the legend of British club music The Brand New Heavies. The homeland of jazz—the USA—is represented at the festival with the number one world’s alto sax players Rudresh Mahanthappa with a program Samdhi inspired by Indian music, highly demanded and most loved bass players Christian McBride (also a fresh Grammy-nominee) and the young velvet-voiced singer Lizz Wright.
- Jazz Awards
- Together with Estonian Jazz Union and the festival’s gold sponsor Elion, the Jazz Awards will be announced for the sixth time. Young musicians from G. Ots Music School will fill the streets and parks of Tallinn with vibrant music during the whole festival period. Meet them at the harbor, in the airport, shopping centers, streetcars and elsewhere! Young talents will also take part at the matinees at the Theatre NO99 Jazz Club, the Jazz Painting project and other exciting festival activities.
- Jazzkaar in pictures
- Jazzkaar video on Vimeo
- Tickets are on sale via Piletilevi retailers
- The tickets for the concerts of Jan Garbarek Group and Lizz Wright are also available at the TicketPro retailers
- More info at http://www.jazzkaar.ee/2012