|Country and Region||United States — Texas|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Austin, Texas, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Christi Moore, FronteraFest
FronteraFest is Austin’s premiere fringe festival that takes place over five weeks. The programming includes a range of performers in a different formats: Short Fringe (performances are 25 minutes or less), Long Fringe (up to 90 minutes), and Mi Casa Es Su Teatro (site-based in theaters, homes and businesses). Hundreds of performers participate in these fringe events: dance, theater, music, magic — anything goes… and it does.
|Festival Dates||January 14 - February 15, 2014|
Highlighted programming 2014:
- Now in its 21st year, FronteraFest is five weeks of new, alternative, offbeat, and just plain off-the-wall unjuried fringe theatre. Too bad there’s no actual way to expect the unexpected, because that is your only hope. Produced by Hyde Park Theatre in collaboration with Script Works.
- This year our opening week after-party will be Saturday, January 18 at Dane’s Body Shop, right next door to the theater. I’ve seen you craning your neck to peek in there, and here’s your chance to step inside without someone throwing a medicine ball at ya. The party will be catered by Asti Trattoria, yeah you heard me, Austin Beerworks, and Beverage World. Come by please!
- We have a fabulous BYOV lineup this year, one of the best in years, so check that out!
- A reminder that Best of Fest and Best of Week tickets go fast, so fast—get them while they’re hot, folks.
- Whole festival calendar right here.
- New around here? Here’s the scoop:
- FronteraFest comes in several parts, most famously the artistic Wild West that is our unjuried Short Fringe. That means five short pieces (under 25 minutes each) per night everyTuesday through Friday at Hyde Park Theatre: anything from new plays to puppetry to dance to music to sketch comedy to improv to what was that?
- If you’d rather start with something a little less unexpected, try the Short Fringe Best of Week shows every Saturday —that’s our panel and audiences favorite shows from the previous week. Or save yourself for the Short Fringe Best of the Festival from February 11-15. (The “Best of” shows all sell out early, so don’t delay.)
- Aaannnnd there’s the Long Fringe: eleven shows up to 90 minutes long, with just four performances each at Salvage Vanguard Theatre. Shows this year include a Brit in Texas, a scalding parent-teacher conference, an absurdist Freudian clown show, and “a fever dream steeped in blood.” And that’s just the beginning.
- BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE: the BYOV (Bring Your Own Venue) lineup this year includes a dance piece on South Congress, another in a chapel, another piece in the playwright’s own home—and more.
- Finally, Mi Casa Es Su Teatro is your favorite and mine: a single Saturday of site-specific work performed in homes and businesses around Austin, curated this year by writer/director Rudy Ramirez with assistance from Cassidy Browning and Kyle Zamchek.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811