International Youth Folklore Festival "St. Kiril & Metodij"
|Country and Region||Macedonia — Ohrid|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Music|
|Location of Festival||Ohrid, Ohrid, Macedonia|
|Festival Contact Information|
The International Children’s & youth folkdance festival “St. Kiril & Metodij” takes place in Ohrid annually. The festival organizers invite students to celebrate together the day of St. Cyril & Methodius (May 24th) in Ohrid (city of St. Kliment and St. Naum — the best students of St. Cyril & Methodius). The Festival’s aim is to present the cultural tradition of different countries and to provide an opportunity for the members of groups to get together, to establish friendships and culture presentation trough dance and music. For more about the history of the Saints see the story below.
|Festival Dates||May 22 - 26, 2014|
Ohrid is one of the oldest settlements in Macedonia and is considered the oldest city in the world, with the continuous advancement of civilization! Indeed, according to many historians, Lychnidos-the city of light (the ancient name of Ohrid) was build in the 4th century B.C., but humans have lived there for more than 8,000 years. Here in Ohrid, from its beginning until today, life still goes on, without ending. That is why it‘s also called “the kingdom of archaeologists”.
This small city seemed to be irresistible to great ancient rulers and kings, such as the legendary Phoenician prince Cadmus who build it, Fillip 2 of Macedon who once conquered and reconstructed it, Alexander the Great who enjoyed in it, Czar Samuel who ruled there, and many more. However, Ohrid is the only place in the world where two recognized saints actually lived in the same time — St. Clement of Ohrid (840-916) and St. Naum of Ohrid (830-910). These two exceptional individuals, the best students of Cyril and Methodius, were in fact the most educated people in the world in their time. Among other achievements, they will always be remembered as establishers of the first University in Europe (893), located in Ohrid Old Town, long before the University in Bologna (1088). Besides that, St. Clement and St. Naum of Ohrid were founders of the Cyrillic Alphabet. As a result of their creativity and incredible work, today more then 200 million people still use this alphabet, mostly in Southeast and Eastern Europe.
The city’s Ancient ruins, beautiful amphitheatre, three citadel walls, St. Sofia Cathedral, St. Jovan Kaneo church, make it an important pilgrimage destination. There is a breathtaking vista from a plateau over Ohrid Lake and Galicica mountain towering behind. St. Naum monaster (one of the most beautiful monasteries in Macedonia) was founded in the 910 by St. Naum, but the present-day church was built in the 16th c. There is also a strong Roman connection to the city, since Lychnidos was along the famous route Via Egnatia, build in the 2nd century B.C., connecting the Adriatic and Aegean sea. Considering the number of churches located in the Old town (365 churches according to the immemorial legend, for local people celebrate every single day by honouring another saint), Ohrid is called “the Balkan Jerusalem”, successfully playing the role as the biggest pilgrimage spot for all the Orthodox Christians in the world. Today Ohrid is a cultural, spiritual and tourist centre. And finally, as the crowning glory of its values, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid have been named a world cultural and natural heritage listed city under the protection of UNESCO since 1980.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811
General rules 2014:
- The festival is a non-competitive sample of traditional and modern dances and music performed by folkloric groups.
- Participants can only be children and youth folklore dance groups, modern dance groups, vocal groups, instrumental groups and soloists, as well as groups and performers from other art styles. Participants can not be older then 25 year old.
- The number of participants are limited (only 3 folk groups from each country),
- Each group should consist of most 40-45 members including dancers, managers and musicians,
- Ensemble should have prepared at least 2 folk dances, 10-12 minutes each with orchestra or CD. The performances will be in the evening hours so you can plan the day ahead and use it for visiting the historical part of the city and excursions.
- Send us short CV and photos of the group,
- Each group must bring a flag of the country,
- Folklore groups should have their own transportation for arrival and departure,
- Participation fee is €82 4 FB per person (4 nights with 3 meals per day (Full Board)). It covers hotel accommodation with 3 meals per day in 3*** hotels which are located on the coast of Ohrid Lake, in 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 bedrooms with own toilet and bathrooms…… or €77 4 HB (breakfast and dinner) … Visit: http://www.hotelprestol.com.mk, http://www.hoteldesaret.com.mk, http://www.hotelbeton.com.mk, http://www.galebiplaza.com.mk, http://www.hotelkocarev.com.mk, and others…
Festival organizers provide:
- For 21 dancers – one gratis,
- souvenir and gift for each group,
- Certificate for attendance,
- Welcome cocktail
- drinks during the performance,
- tourist guides for sightseeing of the town,
- free parking
- reception in city hall,
- advertising of the festival (press conference, radio and TV channels, posters)
- Note — INSURANCE: Personal responsibility and health insurance are within the other obligations of the roups. First Aid and Medical Hospital will be available, medical services must be covered by the group.