Penang World Music Festival
Photos courtesy of Penang World Music Festival
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Malaysia — Penang|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Penang, Malaysia|
|Festival Contact Information|
After a three year hiatus, the Penang World Music Festival (PWMF) is coming back- bigger and better than before! Music lovers will be in for a good treat as the band line-up is a potpourri of well-known international and local musicians coming together to serenade them with rousing world beat that will keep them dancing amid the resounding rhythms of nature.
With music genre ranging from blues to salsa and reggae, the upcoming PWMF 2012 is definitely not an event to be missed. Organized by Penang’s State Tourism Development and Culture Office, PWMF 2012 promises to be an exciting event to look out for this year! The tourism office has appointed UCSI Communications Sdn Bhd (UComms) as the event management consultant, to ensure the smooth running of the festival.
|Festival Dates||March 30 - April 1, 2012|
- The festival will feature musicians from all corners of the world from places like Africa, Australia, Philippines, Colombia, South Korea, Russia, Mongolia and Bali. Together with the local Malaysian bands, they will orchestrate a world beat that will definitely rock the Pearl of the Orient.
- Participating bands
- Maite Hontele (Colombia)
- Kalja Riddim Klan (Vanuatu)
- Gus Teja World Music (Bali)
- Beoga (Ireland)
- Tori Ensemble (South Korea)
- Wild Marmalade (Australia)
- Loyko (Russia)
- Altan Urag (Mongolia)
- Guinee Percussions (Africa)
- Phong Nguyen Ensemble (Vietnam)
- Griff Trio (Belgium)
- Will Crummers and the Rarotongans (New Zealand)
- Grace Nono and Bob Aves Group (Philippines)
- Aseana Percussion Unit (Malaysia)
- Didit Dinai (Malaysia)
- Penang Dhol Blasters (Malaysia)
- Kumpulan Minang Moh (Malaysia)
- Geng Wak Long (Malaysia)
- Quarry Recreational Park, Botanic Gardens — The beautiful landscape garden at the Botanic Gardens will provide the magical backdrop to the open-air festival which will start from 2pm with the musical workshop. Other programs at the festival include the Kidzworld workshop which will be from 5pm to 6pm and the night concert which will commence from 7:00pm. There will also be festival bazaar offerings wide selection of food and beverages, souvenir items, handicrafts and the performers CDs for festival goers to enjoy.
- Quarry Recreational Park
Botanic Gardens Penang
Jalan Kebun Bunga
Phone: +60 4 227-0428
Fax: +60 4 228-6075
- RM90 per day for adult
- RM45 per day for children between 5 and 12 years old
- Three-day tickets are also available and are priced at RM220 each for adult and RM120 each for child.
- Online at http://www.ticketxpress.com.my
- Tickets are sold at all Discovery Overland Holidays offices (phone: +6 013 3398113) and Penang Tourism Development and Culture Office (phone: +6 016 4110000)
- Penang is one of the 14 states in Malaysia and it is often known as Pearl of the Orient. Known for its friendly people, culture, food and heritage among visitors to this island state, Penang also has many places of interests that attract tourists to its shore. Penang is easily accessible by air with daily flights from major neighboring cities like Singapore, Bangkok, Medan, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Banda Acheh, Phuket and Perth. There are also direct domestic flights from Kuala Lumpur, Johore, Langkawi, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. Among the airlines that fly directly into Penang include MAS, Air Asia, SilkAir, Jetstar, Tiger Airways, Firefly, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines and Singapore Airlines.