Death-Birth-Freedom Revelry Festival
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Literary, Music|
|Location of Festival||Brooklyn, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Phone: +01 917-804-2980
The Six Betweens Art Collective announces a month-long new multi-disciplinary arts festival. Death-Birth-Freedom REVELRY aims to promote art as a vehicle to transcend and transform ourselves and the world in which we live, is the first of its kind in its explicit intent to acknowledge and strengthen the ever-growing community of artists who combine art-making with the healing arts, and create work from that consciousness.
Presented by The Six Betweens Art Collective, Death-Birth-Freedom REVELRY features Brooklyn’s rich, artistic talent as well as other New York City area and international artists, including more than 125 artists and host over 20 events that include visual arts, mixed media, music, dance, film, spoken word, theatre and workshops. Held at Tea Lounge, the Gowanus Print Lab and lululemon athletica Brooklyn Showroom, all venues within the Park Slope and Gowanus neighborhoods in Brooklyn, the festival concludes with a Halloween Art Extravaganza.
|Festival Dates||October 1 - 29, 2011|
According to festival Founder and Artistic Director Rakel Terceño, “the REVELRY is meant to provide a unique artistic experience that blurs the line between audience and artist; a stage for experimentation, as if in an Art Lab; an interactive space for free expression, deep reflection and conscious action.” Inspired by the natural cycle of death-rebirth-freedom, each artist creates work around that theme with full freedom of approach. “The Revelry truly is a celebration of Art, and it will transform our main venue, Tea Lounge, both physically and energetically.”
- Live Multidisciplinary Shows
Venue — Tea Lounge, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights (October 6 through October 22, 2011)
- Ma’ata: Prayers for, to, and through the water
Movement and video landscapes, live and recorded soundscapes, fuse to provide insight into the journey, life and energies of water. An investigation, a prayer, an offering to the most essential element of life, Ma’ata is an evolving, interactive, multimedia performance and installation piece composed of physical, visual and sound driven prayers. Presented by dancer, choreographer, healer and educator Sunder Ashni.
- A night of Mini-Art!
Mini films, mini drawings, mini poems, mini songs. All things mini…even the food!
- Ma’ata: Prayers for, to, and through the water
- Other events include
- Tuesday Night Film Series at Tea Lounge
- Visual art exhibit
- A family workshop at Gowanus Print Lab
- A Creativity and Meditation workshop at lululemon athletica
- Halloween Art Extravaganza!
Saturday, October 29
- The most amazing Halloween Party you’ll ever attend! Musical theatre; body painted dancers; costumes; site-specific sculptures… all topped with Jason Lindner’s electro-groove trio Now vs. Now.
About the venues 2011:
- Tea Lounge — Main Festival Venue
- Tea Lounge has been supporting Brooklyn creativity for over a decade, as it has always displayed the work of local artist on its walls ever since it opened more than eleven years ago. Serving organic fair trade coffee and over 60 teas, baked goods and food, the Tea Lounge, located at the heart of Park Slope, also has a full bar with 10 taps. Host to weekly events of live music, lectures, storytelling, improv and open mics, Tea Lounge is committed to providing great community environment while supporting local artists. This October, it also becomes the main venue of Death-Rebirth-Freedom REVELRY.
- Coffee. Tea. Cocktails. Community. Come on in and hang. Visit http://www.tealoungeny.com for full the menu and event schedule. Located at 837 Union Street, Brooklyn
- Gowanus Print Lab-REVELRY Exhibition Gallery
- In business since October 2010, the Gowanus Print Lab is a community screen-printing workspace and exhibition space. Its aim is to create a nurturing artist community by providing affordable access to workspace and tools, skill-sharing and education through classes, workshops and lectures. It also provides exhibition space for emerging artists and this October, the exhibition space becomes host to a special Death-Rebirth-Freedom REVELRY group show. Located at 54 Second Avenue, Brooklyn. Visit http://www.gowanusprintlab.com
- lululemon athletica Brooklyn Showroom
- A lululemon showroom is a cozier version of the full retail stores, with a solid selection of technical product for all your sweatastic needs. During the week, the Brooklyn Showroom hosts private parties, plan community events, put lulu on wheels for trunk shows, and act as local experts on where to find great yoga, Pilates, fitness, or just plain fun in the neighborhood! This October the REVELRY will hold a Consciousness Creativity Celebration, 2 h. workshop, facilitated by Sunder Ashni. Located at 472 Bergen Street, Brooklyn. Visit http://www.lululemon.com/newyork/brooklyn
- KadmusArts offers a forum within the festival community to share your opinions, ideas and experiences. Please share your thoughts about Death-Birth-Freedom Revelry Festival at
- The majority of Festival events are free to the public with a suggested donation of $5 at the door. Fee-based workshops and special admission events will be specified in the Festival Program. For more information and full program details, visit the festival web site at http://www.sixbetweensart.org.