London 2012 Festival
Photos: Newton Faulkner; and Pixie Lott. Images courtesy of Cult.Brand (UK).
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United Kingdom — England|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Literary, Music|
|Location of Festival||London, England, UK|
|Festival Contact Information|
London Cultural Olympiad
The London 2012 Cultural Olympiad is the largest cultural celebration in the history of the modern Olympic and Paralympic Movements. Spread over four years, it is designed to give everyone in the UK a chance to be part of London 2012 and inspire creativity across all forms of culture, especially among young people. The culmination of the Cultural Olympiad will be the London 2012 Festival, a spectacular 12-week nationwide celebration bringing together leading artists from across the world with the very best from the UK, from Midsummers Day on 21 June and running until the final day of the Paralympic Games on 9 September 2012.The London 2012 Festival will celebrate the huge range, quality and accessibility of the UK’s world-class culture including dance, music, theatre, the visual arts, fashion, film and digital innovation, giving the opportunity for people across the UK to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Principal funders of the Cultural Olympiad and London 2012 Festival are Arts Council England, Legacy Trust UK and the Olympic Lottery Distributor. BP and BT are Premier Partners of the Cultural Olympiad and the London 2012 Festival.
For more details on the programme and to sign up for information visit
|Festival Dates||June 21 - September 9, 2012|
Festival kick-off concert 2012:
- Peace One Day — June 21
- Pixie Lott has joined the bill for their upcoming concert in Derry-Londonderry on June 21. The concert will culminate in a spectacular firework display from a barge on the River Foyle. Pixie has been confirmed to take part in the concert alongside Imelda May, Newton Faulkner, Guillemots and The Wonder Villains who will join Peace One Day founder Jeremy Gilley for the opening event of the London 2012 Festival in Derry ~ Londonderry on June 21, with support from Peace One Day ambassador Jude Law. Peace One Day founder Jeremy Gilley said today, “I’m delighted to welcome Pixie to the line-up. It’s fantastic to have such wonderful artists helping to launch the festival and raise awareness of Peace One Day and the Global Truce 2012 campaign.” The Derry-Londonderry concert is the first show in Northern Ireland for Gilley’s Peace One Day campaign, which in 2001 led a process that resulted in the unanimous adoption by UN member states of the first ever annual day of global ceasefire and non-violence. This day is now fixed in the global calendar every year: 21 September is Peace Day. The concert will feature video statements from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon; Yoko Ono; Chairperson of the African Union, Jean Ping; and other international figures.
- Tickets for the concert are priced at £22.50 and are available from ticketmaster.co.uk and locally from Cool Discs and a Ticketmaster booth in Foyleside shopping centre.
Festivals associated with the London Cultural Olympiad/London 2012 Festival:
- London 2012 Festival
- World Shakespeare Festival
- World Stages London Festival
- BT River of Music Festival
- Festival of the World