Melbourne Music Week
|Country and Region||Australia — Victoria|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Melbourne Music Week
Melbourne Music Week showcases the very best of the city’s thriving independent music scene highlighting local, national and international, well known and emerging artists. It is an initiative of the City of Melbourne that pools the vitality and the variety of the Melbourne music sector. The event has been co-produced with established industry partners including music venues, independent labels, music promoters, leading music conferences the Australasian World Music Expo and Face the Music and peak industry organisations such as Music Victoria.
MMW is partnering with the local music industry to create a unique event that will feature live performances, DJ sets, films, workshops, conferences and much more. Events will take place right across the city, not only in live music venues, but in city laneways, record shops, cafes, bars and fashion stores. In total MMW will showcase over 130 acts performing at 40 different locations during the course of nine days.
|Festival Dates||November 18 - 26, 2011|
Programming highlights 2011:
- In co-production with ACMI, the Cinemix program returns and will see Melbourne’s own trio Midnight Juggernauts performing a truly unique and ephemeral soundtrack to the 1960s British newsreel series Look at Life. Midnight Juggernauts have been labeled many things from art-rock, synth-pop, retro-futurist, indie-dance, prog-stomp, pedal-toting, psychedelic shamans and beyond. Their infectious reputation has garnered them a large audience and much international acclaim.
- Labels Live @, a series of concerts curated by different independent Melbourne-based music labels will include a night curated by Mistletone at St Michael’s Church featuring HTRK, Beaches, The Orbweavers, Montero and Wintercoats. Set within the ethereal walls of a church, this one night only event will offer audiences a unique and immersive experience. London-based HTRK (pronounced “Hate Rock”) return to their hometown of Melbourne for the first time in over five years with their much anticipated new album, Work (work, work), to headline this showcase of one of Melbourne’s most forward-looking labels.
- Two Bright Lakes has organised Melbourne duo Oscar + Martin and Teeth & Tongue to perform on the rooftop of Melbourne Central. Oscar + Martin have been dancing around, making beats, loops and melodies in Melbourne since 2006. Born of a generation with the history of music making at their fingertips, they possess an explosive creativity that is instantly catchy creating dance floors wherever they go. Teeth & Tongue is the musical project of Jess Cornelius, together with long-time collaborator Marc Regueiro-Mckelvie (guitar) and Damian Sullivan (bass), who combine elements of pop, garage and post-punk with metronomic precision and haunting vocals.
- The first international act to be announced for the MMW program is L.A experimental music producer Daedelus, who is currently signed to UK label Ninja Tune. More about where Daedelus’ unique live electronic performance can be seen and more international artist announcements will come on 22 September.
- KadmusArts offers a forum within the festival community to share your opinions, ideas and experiences. Please share your thoughts about Melbourne Music Week at