16th Apostrof, Prague 2014
Image Source: Apostrof
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Czech Republic — Prague|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Prague, Prague, Czech Republic|
|Festival Contact Information|
The International Festival of the Independent and Amateur Theatre MB - Apostrof
“The basic idea, that inspired creators to launch the first year of Apostrof festival was gathering of top Czech, Slovak and foreign independent, amateur and semi-professional theatres and also mutual friendly comparison of their work (especially the ways how to express different vision of the world through theatrical art)“. – says director Akram Staněk. “During the past 15 years, we managed to bring many theatre companies from all over the world to the Apostrof festival scene. We also created many theatre projects that Czech and foreign authors worked on, so that we established cooperation with many festivals abroad. Traditional participation of Czech and Slovak theatres is within last several years enriched by groups from Hungary and Poland, so that the whole festival is getting some Central European or – if you want – Visegrad – sound. This sound itself is very colourful and there is another possibility to watch culture relations with the far world. And only just to discover such – often very surprising – relations, is the main motivation for our annual effort to present to audience productions of countries that haven´t the possibility to be a part of the festival yet“.
The creators are constantly looking for a new theatre companies from all continents to approach and invite them to be a part of the festival. Also the traditional participants are invited to be a part. In few days´ programme there will be included the most interesting Central European theatre companies and groups from distant foreign countries that express together the Apostrof´s fundamental motto: “The theatre as the international communication language”
|Festival Dates||June 29 - July 2, 2014|
From the very beginning in 1999 under the name of MB (apostrof) 99—the festival APOSTROF has been focusing on the confrontation of Czech and the Slovak theatre on the one hand and theatre from other foreign countries on the other. In this manner theatrical companies from Europe, America and Asia meet on the stages of Prague theatres NA ZABRADLI and DISK, both located in the historical centre of Prague.
The profile of the festival narrowed down over the years: particular dramatic genre and form, national culture, directing methods and ways of dramatic art, they all communicate through language that everybody understands and which is the only indicator for chosing the performers. Czech and foreign ensembles use a language which destroyes all the national boundaries—they use the language of theatre.
The idea to organize the international theatre festival of independent and non-professional theatres in Prague occurred to the members of the theatre Lucerna MB in December 1998 during their participation on the theatre festival Fiesta! ‘98 in Venezuela. The first year of the festival was organized in July of the following year with the participation of 13 ensembles from Czech and Slovak republic, Hungary and Venezuela. During last five years the festival hosted many theatre ensembles from throughout the world. The festival takes place in two locations—the Theatre Na zábradlí, and the Theatre DISK.
- The deadline for applications and all required information, incl. DVD – 15th January, 2014. The term may be extended only in justified cases after individual agreement with the organisers of the festival.
- The festival dramaturgy will see the offered productions on DVD and then (by 15th March 2014) will inform which theatre companies were admitted to the shortlist.
- In March there will be consultation with theatre companies in shortlist about the technical conditions, the number of participants and other conditions of participation.
- By 31st March 2014 we will nominate the theatre companies to the festival programme. Also we will inform you about the potential changes in terms, length of the festival, the final number of participants and about the working version of programme.
- We will conclude a contract with chosen theatre companies on the basis of information in questionnaire that we will send in mid-May.