Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival
Poster and Logo courtesy of Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Croatia — Dubrovačko-Neretvanska|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Dubrovnik, Dubrovačko-Neretvanska, Croatia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Online contact form:
The Festival was founded in 2009 in the beautiful city of Dubrovnik by Michael Lederer, an American playwright and features local and international theatre artists. The inaugural edition of the festival will take place in 2012 when the Festival administration joins together an international group of theatre enthusiasts whose mission is to unite great world theatre productions from the classics of Shakespeare to contemporary works including world premieres.
The placement of the festival during the spring months is intended to extend the already rich festival season of the region. Dubrovnik offers festival-goers the enjoyment of the Renaissance Old Town that is rich in an architectural and cultural heritage, the magnificent waters of the Adriatic and theatre performances of exceptional quality!
|Festival Dates||April 18, 2013|
- This year from the 30th of April to the 6th of May we will organise the first Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival in the heart of the Old City of Dubrovnik. The Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival — drama and performing arts and bilingual theatre in the festival will allow citizens to fully enjoy the international performances, as well as visitors to the city to enjoy the superb performances of Croatian theatre, without any language barrier. In this debut year the Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival brings an exciting program of recognized national and international artists, as well as educational programs for local and visiting students.
- Drama Performances
- The festival program includes three drama performances and a rock opera. Irina Brook, daughter of the renowned director Peter Brook, will open this year’s festival with the play Midsummer Night’s Dream, to be followed by one of the best Croatian theatres, Exit Theatre, with the performance Shaking Shakespeare. Last but not least the Ad Infinitum Theatre from London will perform the drama Ulysses. All performances will be held at the Marin Drzic Theatre in the Old City of Dubrovnik.
- The Pink Floyd tribute band, Just Floyd, will close the first edition of the Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival with a concert of The Wall in the Culture Club Revelin.
- Art and Film
- During the week of the festival from the 30th of April to the 6th of May the entire city will live in the character of Shakespeare. The world renowned Russian artist, Genia Chef, based in Berlin and New York, will paint a portrait of William Shakespeare on a huge canvas. All visitors will be able to observe the daily emergence of the Shakespeare portrait in the heart of the Old City in front of Sponza Palace. And one of the partners of the festival, Dubrovnik Cinemas, will show films of recent productions featuring the works of Shakespeare.
- Student Interactive Workshops
- Students of elementary and secondary schools will also be able to discover the actor within themselves through fun interactive workshops, “Shakespeare’s Greatest Hits” led by the founder of London-based Performance Exchange, actor and educator Daniel Foley. Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival is designed to prolong and deepen the cultural life of one of the most beautiful cities in the world, to create bilingual theatre for both residents and visitors to Dubrovnik, the old world charm combined with the modern world.
- Dubrovnik Shakespeare Festival press conference 27.04.11