International Festival of Theatre Schools SETKANI/ENCOUNTER (Mezinárodní divadelní festival vysokých škol Setkání)
|Country and Region||Czech Republic — South Moravian Region|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Brno, South Moravian Region; Prague, Prague, Czech Republic|
|Festival Contact Information|
The International Festival of Theatre Schools SETKÁNÍ/ENCOUNTER
SETKÁNÍ/ENCOUNTER is an International Festival of theater schools. The initiator of the event is the Theater Faculty of the Janáček Academy of Performing Arts in Brno. Established here in 1990 the idea of meeting all three high performing schools from the former Czechoslovakia. During one weekend in February 1991 met teachers and students DIFA JAMU, Academy of Performing Arts in Prague Academy of Performing Arts in Bratislava, to each other showed examples of his work and working methods.
Since its first year, the festival is constantly evolving and expanding. Participation of foreign schools had international festival ENCOUNTER epithet, extended for five days and expanded its program of supporting events. Over time, the festival began SETKÁNÍ/ENCOUNTER acquired nationwide significance and is fostered by, inter alia, the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, South Moravia Region Governor and the Mayor of the city of Brno. Festival SETKÁNÍ/ENCOUNTER is considered one of the most important of its kind. This year’s festival is held under the auspices of the Czech Commission for UNESCO Commission, Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic, the Governor of South Moravia, Mayor of the City of Brno, the rector of the Janáček Academy of Performing Arts in Brno.
|Festival Dates||April 8 - 12, 2014|
The Aim of the festival:
- The mission of the festival is to create the space for the meeting of students and other theatre professionals from theatre schools.
- Association — The festival is a part of the educational system from, The Theatre Faculty of Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts. Organizers
- The main organizer of the festival is The Theatre Faculty of Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts.
- Other organizers — Also, other subjects can participate in organising the festival. The contract of cooperation and other agreements deal with the content and form of the co-operation. Project
- Every year has its own project.
- The concepts are developed during the education. They are discussed by the headquarters of the festival and approved by the Festival Committee headed by the Dean of Theatre Faculty.
- The project contents
- a) Particular organisational, technical and financial support for every year
- b) The way of involving students from theatre management department
- c) The structure of the headquarters of the festival
- Content — The project should contain basic dramaturgic and artistic concept for every particular year. Other belongings can be set by separate projects.
- Completion — If the project is not finished by the end of the academic year, we use the last released project.
- The date and place of the festival
- The festival is held for five days [from Tuesday to Saturday] during April in Brno. Further information is set in the Project.
- The date and time of the Festival are part of the academic year by The Theatre Faculty of Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts.
- Festival Board
- The director of the festival
- The director of the festival whose name is put forward by the Artistic Board of The Theatre Faculty of Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts.
- The director of the festival is the official festival representative. (Except special pedagogic and financial decisions that the dean deals with).
- Festival headquarters
- a) Headquarters of the festival is the main managing body of the festival.
- b) The members of the festival headquarters are students and teachers. Their votes are equal.
- c) If the votes are even then the director of the festival has the right to decide.
- Student coordinator
- a) Student coordinator is usually the author of the festival project.
- b) The head of the Theatre Management department (or the Dean) appoints the student coordinator. Financial support
- Preparation of the festival — a part of education or self creative activities at The Theatre Faculty of Janacek Academy of Music and Performing Arts and it’s financed from the school budget.
- Support — The festival can be supported also by other means. The budget is a part of the project. The headquarters of the festival takes care of the finances. Participants
- Mainly theatre schools of university type or similar national institutions participate at the Festival. The organisers will do their best to cover the costs of the participants’ accommodation, board and information material.
- The headquarters of the festival approves the guests and they cover the costs of the guest stay. The guests have free entry for the performances at the festival.
- Other participants (Self payers, journalists, students of other schools).
- Teachers and students of The Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts
- Awards and Jury
- Outstanding artistic achievements can be awarded to the students who participated in the creation of the performances at the festival.
- A more precise specification of the Marta Award of the International Festival of the Theatre Schools SETKÁNÍ/ENCOUNTER is to be found in the festival’s project.