Carreño Summer Master Class Series
Photo credits: See Practical information below.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — Florida|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||Sarasota, Florida, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Carreño Summer Master Class Series
An intriguing change of name heralds the announcement of the third annual Carreno Dance Festival’s Summer Intensive, presented by the Sarasota International Dance Festival. Robert de Warren, president of the Festival, reports the program which gained international attention during its two previous sessions will now be known as the Carreño Summer Master Class Series. “The name change more accurately reflects the special concept that defines the exceptional nature of the program that has appealed to pre-professional students from across the United States as well as from Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Panama, and Europe.” The program will take place in Sarasota, Florida at the legendary Sarasota Opera House and at the studios of the Sarasota Cuban Ballet School.
|Festival Dates||July 29 - August 17, 2013|
Programming / auditions 2013:
- Summer Master Class Series
- Led by Artistic Director and Master Teacher Jose Carreño, the 2013 roster includes Yuri Fateev. Director of Mariinsky Ballet, St. Petersburg, Russia; Loipa Araújo, Co-Director English National Ballet; and Gennadi Saveliev, founder of Youth America Grand Prix. Other members of the faculty are Rinat Imaev, Company Teacher American Ballet Theatre, Carlos Dos Santos, prominent modern Brazilian artist, Magaly Suarez, Director of Florida Classical Ballet and Robert de Warren, international director/choreographer.
- Complementing the Summer Master Class Series is an innovative mentorship program inaugurated by Dr. Suzanne Kesten of the Festival’s Board of Directors for several young dancers selected from the 2012 pre-professional student body. The five original mentees have been chosen for their outstanding talent and commitment and have received personalized counseling and special coaching in master classes given by Robert de Warren on a periodic basis.
- Festival of Stars
- The culmination of the Carreño Summer Master Class Series, the Festival of Stars, will be performed on the evening of Saturday, August 17, 2013 at the Sarasota Opera House, as the students of the Series share the stage with international stars of the ballet world. The performance will feature The Sleeping Beauty Suite and the traditional Master Class presentation.
- New dance festival in Sarasota will highlight ballet, Susan L. Rife (Herald Tribune, September 8, 2010)
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance
- Guest Teacher Loipa Araujo teaching a class during the Summer Intensive Program
- Student Swan Lake corps which performed in the final presetation of the Summer Intensive Workshop of the Carreno Dance Festival in August of 2011. Credit: Bill Wagy.
- Dance Students performing in “Master Class” in final presentation. Credit: Bill Wagy.
- Jacoby & Pronk. Photo by Marty Sohl
- Misty Copeland
- Yuri Fateev, the renowned director of the Mariinsky Ballet in St. Petersburg, Russia who was a guest faculty member at the Summer Intensive teaching students in a partnering class.
Important information 2013:
- Scheduled during February and March in the Florida cities of Sarasota, Orlando, Pompano Beach and in New York City and Houston, with the Sarasota auditions leading off the schedule on February 17th at the Sarasota Cuban School of Ballet at 11 am.
- Other dates and locations
- Dates and locations are at New York’s School of American Ballet on February 24th at 1 pm; at the Houston Ballet on March 2nd at 12:30 pm; at the Orlando Ballet on March 10th at 10:30 am; and at the Art of Classical Ballet School in Pompano Beach on March 17th at 10:30 am.
- A distinguished faculty has again been assembled for this Summer Series. Robert de Warren observes that a program such as the one offered by the Summer Master Class Series is unique because it allows pre-professional students an in-depth opportunity to mix with and learn from illustrious notables in the world of ballet.