My Generation Festival
|Country and Region||United Kingdom — England|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Brighton, England, UK|
Brighton and Mod go together like lager and lime or cheese and pickle - they also embody the entire modernist ethos — scooter weekends on the south coast have been a permanent fixture at the resort since the famous weekend in 1964 that was portrayed in the classic cult film Quadrophenia. These days there is no heady violence as the Rockers and Skinheads have long passed to a faded memory, but the Mods have been a cultural constant spanning several generations.
The My Generation team are hosting a permanent fixture in the weekender diary with a new, multi venue, multi genre wristbanded event in 2011 featuring bands, DJs, outdoor cinema, photographic exhibitions along with lots of other extras to be announced curated by Eddie Piller.
|Festival Dates||September 25, 2010|
Festival launch events 2010:
- Festival launch weekend
September 25, 2010 at the Concorde 2 club on Brighton’s Madeira Drive seafront
- The special taster event over the weekend will feature all the disparate styles that go in to the mod mix — jazz, rhythm and blues, soul, northern soul, mod revival, britpop, freakbeat, psyche, funk and indie — the team will unite the past with the future. Scooters, classic cars or the old 5.15 from Victoria; you don’t even have to be a mod to take part — just interested in any single part the iconic scene.
- Steve Cradock (Headlining on Saturday the 25th); a mod icon; from his early days in Brum-beat revival bands to his crowning glory with Ocean Colour Scene. Last year’s solo debut “The Kundalini Target” is a milestone. While Ocean Colour Scene have gone from strength to strength, Cardock’s position as Paul Weller’s right hand man has lasted for 15 years. This is the Cradock’s first public performance as a solo artist. A one off private party described by Janice Long “a music experience waiting to happen” dictated the terms. Cradock has reformed the band with rock and roll legend Mani (Primal Scream/Stone Roses) who is both performing alongside and djing later at the all-nighter.
- Also appearing
photographer Dean Chalkley
Rob Luis (Tru Thoughts)
more artists still to be announced
- In the meantime get your early bird ticket now. Attendees at launch event will have a concessionary rate for 2011.
Launch tickets 2010:
- £20 advance ticket / £25 at the door
- Tickets available at http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk