The World Fleadh Irish and Celtic Music Festival
Photographs of: Grada, Jack L, Tommy Fleming, and The Wolfe Tones
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Ireland — Mayo|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Ireland|
|Festival Contact Information|
The World Fleadh
With Castlebar, Co. Mayo confirmed as this year’s host venue, preparations are well under way for The World Fleadh, Ireland’s Traditional Folk & Celtic Music Festival running 31st July – 8th August, with top Irish and international names in the line up.
After the outstanding success of the 2008 festival in Portlaoise, The World Fleadh returns with headlining acts including the Saw Doctors, Sharon Shannon, Shane Mac Gowan, Moving Hearts and Damien Dempsey. Some of Ireland’s best loved trad musicians are coming together in an a one-off celebration of traditional super group De Dannan, led by world renowned fiddle player and original member of the group, Frankie Gavin. This exclusive event will also feature Mary Black & Dolores Keane in addition to other past members, and will signal the launch of a new De Dannan line-up led by Frankie Gavin.Legendary Country stars Randy Travis, Martina Mc Bride, Hal Ketchum & Georgette Jones are all lined up for the mammoth music event also.
For Irish traditional and country music lovers the festival offers an exciting array of events. The festival will comprise theatre, outdoor and large scale concerts, céilís, music, song and dance master classes, workshops and demonstrations, a scheduled session trail, world title competitions, a world food & craft fair, a late night festival club and a variety of other fringe entertainments to cater for all tastes and ages.
|Festival Dates||July 31 - August 8, 2010|
- Ticketing information, including links to Ticketmaster and host venue sites
- Online tickets for the World Fleadh (apart from the After Show Dances) are available at http://www.tickemaster.com
- In person from 100 Tickemaster outlets nationwide Phone: +353 0818 719 300 (NI) 0870 243 4455.
- NB Tickets for After Show Dances are available on the door only.
- Tickets available for events at the Linen Hall Theatre can be purchased through the theatre box office Phone: +353 094 902 3733.
- Tickets are also available through The Royal Theatre & Event Centre, Castlebar Phone: +353 0818 300 000.
- For 2009 the festival has a brand new location of Castlebar, Co. Mayo which will host the event between July 31st and August 8th 2009. This year’s festival in Castlebar promises to be a longer event with a greater schedule of activities, with events taking place in venues including:
- The Linenhall Arts Centre, and the Royal Theatre & Events Centre, a newly-built 2,200-seat facility which will host the Flead
- Festival Director of The World Fleadh, Eric Cunningham, commented on the new location for the festival, “… The festival from the outset was designed to be a transient event which would move from location to location until it found its natural home. Following the success the event had during its time in Portlaoise, we are looking forward now to a new direction and the town of Castlebar as a town has a lot to offer as a host venue, with the newly renovated Royal Theatre & Events Centre as a centre for the large scale concerts creating several new and exciting possibilities for the future. I look forward to working with the people of Castlebar in bringing the event to fruition there.”