Hollywood Fringe Festival
Poster courtesy of Hollywood Fringe
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — California|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Hollywood, California, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
The annual Hollywood Fringe Festival unites local, national, and international theatre artists in a celebration of performing arts. The various theatres will host performances at 20 official venues where you can wander from one site to the next within the Hollywood neighborhood. These performances include new plays, comedy, dramas, solo artists, hip hop, and more. The street theatre performances feature clowns, mimes, comedy, fire eaters, performance artists, street vendors. The inaugural edition took place in 2010.
|Festival Dates||June 13 - 30, 2013|
The Hollywood Fringe team has adopted a model similar to Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the first event of this type. In this model, any artist can join if they find a venue and pay the registration fee. This model allows artists and venues to seek out compatible relationships and make decisions about a myriad of production questions (such as ticket price, show length, and artist compensation) independent of a centralized Fringe organization. The company feels that a system wherein any artist can join promotes entrepreneurship in the arts and helps the festival grow organically.
- FRINGE PROGRAMS
- Fringe Family: The Hollywood Fringe encourages families to participate in the festival and exposes the next generation of leaders, thinkers, and creators to the arts. Fringe Family takes place on Sundays during the festival (June 16th, 23rd and 30th) from 11 AM-3 PM at Fringe Central Station and features full days of free kid-friendly activity.
- Student Fringe: Student Fringe is an outreach program that brings diverse artistic and educational programming to our city’s youth.
- Fringe Buttons: The community badge for all Fringers. Learn more at http://hollywoodfringe.org/learn/article/518.
- FringeTV: FringeTV returns to provide episodic coverage of the Fringe. New episodes will be available on the Fringe YouTube Channel & hollywoodfringe.org and will be announced via Twitter & Facebook. There will also be screenings at Fringe Central Station throughout the festival. Check out the project page at http://hff13.org/1438 .
- THE FRINGE APP
- Our new festival app, now available for free download on both the Apple and Google Play stores, has been in development for nearly two years. When you download the mobile app, you’ll be able to purchase tickets on your phone to over two hundred festival productions, as well as browse shows by location, time or category. The app can help personalize the Fringe experience by allowing you to create a unique profile, manage a list of favorite shows and customize your schedule on-the-go. Additional features include a map and navigation for all Fringe venues, access to show reviews and a news feed of the latest Fringe events.
- FRINGE EVENTS
- The following events are all held at Fringe Central Station (6314 Santa Monica Blvd.)
- Fringe Opening Night Party (June 12th): http://hff13.org/1436
- Fringe Prom (June 19th)- A big hit in 2012
- Rock of Stages (June 26th) - a Rock n’ Roll themed party with a costume contest, karaoke and more
- End of the World Party (June 29th)- the last Saturday of the Festival; apocalypse themed
- Fringe Awards & Closing Night Party (June 30th): http://hff13.org/1437
- FRINGE-RUN VENUES
- If you want to see how the central Fringe organization works, you should stop by the two venues that we run throughout the festival. For a full list of all the venues participating in the festival, go to http://www.hollywoodfringe.org/venue/list.
- Fringe Box Office & Mainstage (at Open Fist Theatre, 6209 Santa Monica Blvd)
- The Fringe Box Office is a great place to start if you’re not sure what to do next and is the only place to buy tickets for every production in the festival (besides online). Consider this your one-stop shop for tickets, buttons, Fringe guides and other information. The Box Office will be open from 5PM-11PM on weekdays and from 2PM-11PM on weekends starting June 6th.
- Fringe Central Station (6314 Santa Monica Blvd.) We are thrilled to return to this fantastic venue in the heart of Theatre Row, where we’ll once again be hosting the Fringe social space. The community center of the festival, Fringe Central Station features free programming, networking opportunities, food trucks, Fringe merchandise, major Fringe events (like the Opening and Closing Night Parties) and is the location of Bryan’s Bar, the infamous Fringe watering hole. The Fringe Concierge will always be present to assist patrons with their Fringe wants and needs.
- Fringe Central Station will open for the first time on June 12th at 7 PM for the Opening Night Party and will be open from 5 PM to Midnight Mondays-Thursdays, from 2 PM to 2 AM Fridays & Saturdays, and from 2 PM to Midnight on Sundays starting June 13th. This venue is 18+ only.
Key Dates for 2013:
- November 1st- Venue Sign Up Open
- February 1st- Registration Open
- April 1st- Registration Deadline for Guide Inclusion
- June 6th-11th- Fringe Previews
- June 12th- Fringe Opening Night Gala
- June 13th-30th- 4th Annual Hollywood Fringe Festival
- June 30th- Fringe Award Ceremony & Closing Night Party
- Hollywood Fringe Wins Charlie Award for Theatre Arts. The Hollywood Arts Council to Present Award on April 5, 2013. The Hollywood Fringe Festival as the winner of the Charlie Award for Theatre Arts. The Fringe will be presented with the award at the 27th Annual Charlie Awards Luncheon along with the other honorees at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Check out this link to see a list of past award winners.