Photos © Newtown Festival
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Australia — New South Wales|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Newtown, New South Wales, Australia|
|Festival Contact Information|
2012 marks the suburb of Newtown’s 150 birthday, and to celebrate, Newtown Neighbourhood Centre is throwing a party not to forget. Camperdown Memorial Rest Park will once again don its bunting and flags as it is transformed into a bohemian playground for the annual Newtown Festival on Sunday 11 November 2012.
Newtown Festival is one of Sydney’s largest and longest running free community festivals, and the 2012 festival will celebrate the Newtown community’s passion for tolerance, diversity and acceptance. More than 60,000 people gather at the festival each year to experience a vibrancy of community expression through music, the arts and grassroots creativity.
Entertainment on the festival’s three stages will feature a diverse range of Sydney’s finest, with live bands, acoustic artists and world music. The Vocal Local Village will spotlight emerging talent and local community artists whilst the ever popular The Writers Tent will offer up a creative feast of prominent authors, panels and discussions.
Parents will be delighted to know that we’ve got the children’s entertainment covered, as interactive activities and workshops, amusement rides, puppet shows and a wonderful line up of Kids entertainers will adorn the festival kids and family zone. Keep your eye out for surprises from roving acts and street performers – and don’t miss the annual Newtown Festival Dog Show which is always fantastic entertainment!
We love being green at Newtown Festival, and festival goers will be able to make their own contribution to our planet through careful recycling on festival day. At the festival Eco Zone, you’ll be inspired by the melting pot of displays, workshops and personnel with valuable information on urban sustainability.
Shoppers are advised to pace themselves as a selection of 280 stalls consisting of vintage fashion, local art and fair trade products will be on show, spoiling punters for choice for that special Christmas gift. And taste buds will be awakened by the aromas of foods from the four corners of the globe.
Newtown Festival is an annual fundraiser for the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre and festival goers are invited to give a gold coin donation at the festival entrance. All monies raised by the Festival are returned to the Centre to provide community support services to the local community. The festival is made possible by the generous contributions from our sponsors, our local community, artists and entertainers and volunteers.
|Festival Dates||November 10, 2013|
Call Out for Artists 2012:
- Newtown Festival’s Call Out for Artists — Bands, Solo Artists, Roving Performers & Kids Entertainers.
- The annual Newtown Festival is scheduled for Sunday, November 11, 2012 at the Camperdown Memorial Rest Park, Newtown. Newtown Festival is one of Sydney’s largest and longest running free community festivals, attracting crowds of up to 60,000 throughout the day. Newtown Festival is a proud supporter of emerging creative talent, and is once again seeking Expressions of Interest from performers and entertainers willing to donate their time and creativity to the festival. The festival is a vibrant fusion of sound, activity, humanity, colour and life, showcasing the diversity and eclectic nature of Newtown.
- Performers are invited to express their creativity in the following areas:
- Bands & solo artists, all genres.
- Roving performers, which may include small dance acts, comedy, soap box poetry, puppetry, interactive performances, stilt walking, hoola-hooping and many other creative expressions.
- Kids Entertainers, including song, dance, storytelling, activities, acrobatics, creative workshops, dress-ups, face-painting, eco education and more.
- The Newtown Festival is the principal fundraiser for the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre (NNC) which aims to build an inclusive, resilient, self-reliant and creative community. All monies raised by the Festival are returned to the Centre to provide community support services to the local community and in particular the disadvantaged groups such as the aged, people with disabilities, people who are homeless, people with mental illness, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and people on low incomes.
- Visit the website for more information
- Camperdown Memorial Rest Park
Newtown, Sydney, NSW
Entry to the festival is open to ALL the community—Gold Coin donation upon entry would be appreciated! Please give generously to the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre coin collectors at the festival entrances.