The Nothing Festival
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Dance|
|Location of Festival||New York, New York USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Dance Theater Workshop
The festival no longer takes place. Choreographer, Tere O’Connor asked eight dance artists to create a new work from nothing — no story, no music, no outside source. The desire was to create and artistic oasis stripped from the marketing, fundraising, and production challenges that seem to overshadow the process of making a dance. No proposals, no explanations, these choreographers must only begin. In addition to being an environment that fosters pure imagination, The Nothing Festival intended to create a dialogue focused on the conflict of making a dance and marketing the work. Post-show talks centered on this issue were moderated by Tere O’Connor.
|Festival Dates||April 18 - 28, 2007|
- April 18 - 21
- Douglas Dunn
- Sam Kim
- Dean Moss
- April 25 - 28
- Lucinana Achugar
- Walter Dndervill
- Jon Kinzel
- Susan Rethorst
- The Nothing Festival offers the perfect opportunity understand true creativity, as well as to see and hear what eight exciting artists create when they can do whatever they want, no holds barred and no restrictions.
- Post-show talks centered on this issue and moderated by Tere O’Connor will be held Wednesay-Friday only. On Saturday, April 21 and 28, a more in-depth panel discusson with all eight artists will take place from 1:00pm-4:00pm.
- Everyone is invited to participate in the Forum
Articles and Reviews:
- Choreographing From Scratch With No Recipe, by Roslyn Sulcas
(The New York Times, April 21, 2007)
- Box office
By phone (01) 212-924-0077; Wednesday-Saturday 7:30, $12-$25
- In person
219 W. 19th Street (betw. 7th & 8th Aves.)
New York, New York 10011
- NOTHING SPECIAL 2 for $20 (mention 2 for $20 at the box office, or over the phone to recieve the discount).