Photos by martin barker design - 2013©. Photo credits, see Practical information below
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||United States — Ohio|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Lancaster, Ohio USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
The annual Lancaster Festival is an annual July celebration of music and art with events held in all corners of Lancaster, Ohio. The “Lancaster Festival” was inaugurated in 1985, under the artistic direction of Maestro Badea. In 1986 the programming expanded to include ballet, folkloric dance and drama. Performances and special events at locations throughout the city included a mixture of classics, jazz, Broadway, bluegrass, arts and crafts, food, fun, and fireworks. Between February and June ‘88, Maestro Gary Sheldon auditioned over 300 professional musicians and selected the 65 who became The Lancaster Festival Orchestra.
|Festival Dates||July 18 - 27, 2013|
- Indoor and outdoor venues are used to present 70 artists and events during these ten days, most with free admission, ideal for families and children. Churches, parks, fairgrounds, city streets, campus venues, historic buildings and the local mall are just some of the locations where the arts are presented to the community.
- Francisco Renno — opening Night features the Brazilian virtuoso pianist in concert with the Orchestra.
- Just Desserts — tasty music with a delicious dessert reception
- Mostly Mozart chamber music
- Dancers from the Miami City Ballet and the Orchestra perform The Frog Prince Ballet
- Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis — acclaimed husband-and-wife Americana music duo
- Classic Jazz Stompers — hot Dixieland Jazz
- Bruce in the USA Bruce Springsteen tribute show
- Pops Concerts feature the Orchestra with unforgettable singer Michael Bolton takes place Saturday, July 20th
- Crystal Bowersox — American Idol contestant from Ohio performs on July 27th
Food Trucks 2013:
- First Food Truck Rally at OU-L as part of Lancaster Festival
- Food trucks from Columbus and Athens will be on the Ohio University Lancaster Campus Wednesday night for the first Food Truck Rally as part of Lancaster Festival. Ohio University students or graduates who attended the main campus will recognize one of the trucks as an Athens favorite. The Burrito Buggy food truck will be driving up Route 33 from Athens to park alongside My Place or Yours, Hungry Monkey, Burrito Buggy, Pizza Mike and The Fry Guy, many of which are from the Columbus area. Coldstone Creamery will be selling ice cream at the event and the Festival will have a booth to purchase beer and wine and other drinks.
- The Food Truck Rally is part of Tribute Wednesday at Lancaster Festival. “Bruce in the USA,” a Bruce Springsteen tribute band, will take to the Wendel Concert stage on the OUL back lawn. The opening act will be “These Guys Live.” The night of music starts at 7:30pm. The gates open at 6:00pm.
Artist feature 2013:
- Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis
Friday, July 26, 8:00pm
OU-L Herrold Hall Patio Terrace
Admission: $20 in advance, $25 at the gate, lawn tickets (bring blankets or chairs)
- Acclaimed husband-and-wife Americana music duo Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis are touring in celebration of their latest release, Cheater’s Game. Bruce is a world-renowned songwriter with several #1 hits including songs for George Strait, Tim McGraw & Faith Hill and the Dixie Chicks. Kelly has been praised for her great voice, crossing genres of country and pop music. The Wall Street Journal calls the album “a masterly collection,” while the Austin Chronicle praises, “Extraordinarily talented on their own, Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison prove themselves greater together than apart on Cheater’s Game.” Local favorites, the Hocking River String Band, will open the evening.
- Acclaimed husband-and-wife Americana music duo Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis are touring in celebration of their latest release, Cheater’s Game. Bruce is a world-renowned songwriter with several #1 hits including songs for George Strait, Tim McGraw & Faith Hill and the Dixie Chicks. Kelly has been praised for her great voice, crossing genres of country and pop music. The Wall Street Journal calls the album “a masterly collection,” while the Austin Chronicle praises, “Extraordinarily talented on their own, Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison prove themselves greater together than apart on Cheater’s Game.” Local favorites, the Hocking River String Band, will open the evening. http://bruceandkellyshow.com
- Guests to include Rimes, Watts, by Michael Grossberg (The Columbus Dispatch, April 15, 2012)
Photo slideshow credits:
- In order of appearance — all photos by martin barker design - 2013©
- The Lancaster Festival Orchestra and Gary Sheldon, conductor, at St. Mary Church in Lancaster, Ohio
- Gary Sheldon conducts the Lancaster Festival Community Orchestra in Zane Square, Lancaster, Ohio
- The Lancaster Festival Orchestra conducted by Gary Sheldon with Crystal Bowersox, the Lancaster-Fairfield Youth Choir and the Toledo School of the Arts Chorus. Ohio University - Lancaster.
- Lancaster Festival
127 W Wheeling Street
Lancaster, Ohio 43130 USA
Phone: (01) 740-653-8700
Phone: 1-800-LANFEST Toll free in USA
- Open during June and July