Fast & Fresh
Photos © Fast & Fresh
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Australia — New South Wales|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Neil Gooding, Mark Cleary, Artistic Directors
Fast & Fresh—a youth oriented version of Short & Sweet (Australia’s—and the world’s—biggest theatre festival) conducts a week-long festival of heats involving over 30 schools from Sydney and regional centres from Dubbo to Wollongong, Port Macquarie to the Hunter Valley. The 10 finalists are chosen and ‘strut their stuff’ at the glittering gala performance, complete with celebrity judges and rich prizes. The event is produced by Newtown Theatre and hosted by the Riverside Theatre. Fast & Fresh boasts the best new work of 10 minutes length or less—by high-school age student writers and performers. Like its parent festival, this exciting project offers young writers, directors and actors the opportunity to develop new Australian short plays, and to showcase them in front of the cream of Australia’s theatre future. The venue of Riverside Theatre Parramatta is located in Parramatta a suburb of Sydney.
|Festival Dates||May 25 - June 5, 2009|
The inaugural Fast & Fresh competition was held in August 2005 at the Parramatta Riverside Theatres, one of Sydney’s premiere venues. Entries were received from schools all over Sydney including Waverley College, Abbotsleigh, Newtown High School of Performing Arts, St. Joseph’s Catholic High School, Normanhurst Boys School, Hills Grammar School, Powerhouse Youth Theatre & Bethlehem College. Fast & Fresh as it develops will build upon the success of the first competition, and will expand to include writers from many more schools and areas of Sydney.
All plays entered must be 10 minutes or less in duration and must be written and performed by people who are 18 years of age or younger. Directors can be over 18 (for example a teacher, parent or other responsible adult). Each heat involves 2 showings of 10 plays (once during the day and once in the evening). The best couple of plays from each heat are chosen to participate in the final showcase of the festival.
- Fast & Fresh is the natural younger sibling of SHORT & SWEET the largest short play Festival in the World. It has been developed to offer writers, directors and performers who are 18 years and under the chance to showcase their talents.
- All plays entered must be 10 minutes or less in duration and must be written and performed by people who are 18 years of age or younger. Directors can be over 18 (for example a teacher, parent or other responsible adult).
- Prizes are awarded at the final showcase in the following categories:
- Best Play
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- People’s Choice
- The most popular play in the eyes of the professional judges is offered the opportunity of instant inclusion in the adult Short & Sweet competition the following year.
$22, $17, $12
- Riverside Theatre Parramatta
- Online information visit http://www.riversideparramatta.com.au/
- Performances begin at 7:30pm nightly