Festival International des Masques et des Arts de Dédougou (FESTIMA)
Photos courtesy of Maison du Masque (ASAMA)
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Burkina Faso — Mouhoun|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||Dédougou, Mouhoun, Burkina Faso|
|Festival Contact Information|
A production of the Association for the Safeguarding of Masks, FESTIMA seeks to protect African culture in the face of the practically omnipresent Western world and its ubiquitous forms of entertainment. The Festival displays its honored objects in the context of ritual dances and music performances.
|Festival Dates||February 24 - March 2, 2014|
Programming February 28 - March 4, 2012:
- Invited groups
- 35 (with masks of leaves, fibers, feathers, cloth, bark)
- Burkina Faso
- 26 groups with classified masks for ethnic groups living bwa, bobofing, bobo-Mandara, Nuni, marka, san ko, Mossi, Gourmantché, Senufo and bolon
- Other African countries
- 8 groups with classified masks featuring the intangible heritage of Benin, Ivory Coast, Guinea Conakry, Mali, Nigeria, Togo, Senegal and Cameroon
- A group from Spain
- Live entertainment (music and dance), parades nocturnal (night masks), parades (fiber masks, parades of masks of leaves).
Second international conference on masks, February 27, 2012:
- “Improving the production and dissemination of knowledge about the African mask”
- Traditional actors, researchers, directors in charge of cultural heritage, museums and local research, Permanent Secretariat of the CNS
- Communications/discussions, panels, exchange of experiences, etc.
Exhibition of masks February 28 - March 10, 2012:
- “Wealth and menaces of the African mask.” This exhibition highlights the threats that undermine the intangible heritage of Africa. Local children take part in Drawing Competition on the mask for the benefit of elementary students; mounting on the basis of copies of full face masks (heads and costumes) accompanied by musical instruments and accessories (sticks, knives, etc.); questioning and awareness on the basis of iconographic and support multimedia.
Craft fair 2012:
- Crafts exhibitions
- Local products and the promotion of small enterprises;
- Underground venue and drink bars, restaurants for the valuation of art collinear.
Nights in the village: local music and dance February 28 - March 4, 2012:
- Friendly meeting place for local music and dance of the performed by the participating countries
- Crossroads of meetings and exchanges.
- If you like this festival — listen to…
- Maï Lingani
- Maï Lingani