The Verbier Festival and Academy
|Country and Region||Switzerland — Valais|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Verbier, Valais, Switzerland|
|Festival Contact Information|
The Verbier Festival and Academy
The Verbier Academy was founded in 1994 in conjunction with the Verbier Festival—all part of Academy and Festival Director, Martin Tison Engstroem’s initiative. The programme is aimed at young artists who are about to pursue a professional career and who are chosen on the basis of their instrumental, vocal or artistic talent. Audiences have the pleasure of discovering more than 60 young talented performers in classical music, contemporary dance and theatre. Selected from among 250 candidates worldwide, the participants are between 17 and 30 years old and from 16 different countries. During the entire Festival period, they benefit from the exceptional teaching given by internationally renowned professors, who are as equally as prominent as performers on stage. In addition to the master classes, all the instrumentalists create chamber ensembles and participate in chamber music workshops.
|Festival Dates||July 19 - August 4, 2013|
The Collegiate Chorale at the 2013 Verbier Festival:
- The Collegiate Chorale will make its sixth appearance at the 20th Anniversary of the Verbier Festival from July 19-25, 2013, in concerts with Charles Dutoit, Christian Zacharias, and Valery Gergiev. The Collegiate Chorale cherishes a rich collaboration with the Verbier Festival since its first appearance at the festival under James Levine in 2005. The Chorale is thrilled to perform at the festival on its 20th anniversary and to celebrate a shared mission for artistic excellence and inter-generational exchange through music. The Collegiate Chorale and the Verbier Festival share a close relationship based on excellence, creativity and innovation in music. These words continue to define the character of the festival: musical encounters between virtuosi from around the world, a showcase of young talent, carefully chosen repertoire and an outstanding natural setting, and providing a truly unique experience. This type of collaboration also exemplifies The Collegiate Chorale’s mission to create a powerful, shared experience unifying listeners and musicians of all cultures, backgrounds and ages. Following its successes at the Swiss festival since 2005, The Chorale has become part of the Verbier Festival family, and their concerts are quick to sell out. The Chorale is preparing for its sixth appearance at the festival this summer performing exciting repertoire under the batons of Charles Dutoit, Valery Gergiev, and Christian Zacharias.
- July 19 at 7:00pm
- Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 and Lera Auerbach’s Verbier Festival commission In Praise of Peace with the Verbier Festival Orchestra and Charles Dutoit, conductor
- July 22 at 7:00pm
- Beethoven’s Choral Fantasy with the Verbier Festival Orchestra and Charles Dutoit, conductor
- July 23 at 7:00pm
- Schubert’s Mass in E-flat with the Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra and Christian Zacharias, conductor
- July 25 at 7:00pm
- Verdi’s Otello (Act I) with Aleksandrs Antonenko, Anna Netrebko, Alexey Markov, and Francesco Demuro, the Verbier Festival Orchestra, and Valery Gergiev, conductor
- For more information or to buy tickets, visit http://www.verbierfestival.com/programme-tickets/programme/artist/the-collegiate-chorale.
KadmusArts on Facebook:
- Like KadmusArts on Facebook — we are your gateway to interact with the global community of festival fans, artist and organizers. Please share your comments and experiences in regard to this festival at http://www.facebook.com/pages/KadmusArts/17962154811