National School of the Arts - Festival of Fame
Photographer: Petri De Klerk
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||South Africa — Gauteng|
|Type of Festival||Dance, Drama, Music|
|Location of Festival||Braamfontein, Gauteng, South Africa|
|Festival Contact Information|
Since 2002, The National School of the Arts’ Festival of Fame is held in Braamfontein at the school campus and various other venues presenting artistic and cultural performances and showings of outstanding quality. This five-day festival encompasses a wide variety of performances, workshops and exhibitions under its “truly famous, newly famous and the about-to-be-famous” theme. The Festival of Fame, now heading into its eighth year, generates excitement around arts and culture in young people and brings youth and professionals together with exciting and dynamic activities, workshops, events and productions in all of the art forms.
The aim of the festival is to showcase the talents of young people, up-and coming stars, and established artists. It has given young people the opportunity to engage with professional artists and provided stimulating learning experiences within structured activities. It has provided opportunities for the exploration and experimentation with art forms in practical and exciting workshops and competitions. The Festival of Fame promotes and enlivenes the concept of the “cultural arc”, by bringing people back into the Braamfontein area.
|Festival Dates||February 24 - March 2, 2014|
About The National School of the Arts
The National School of the Arts is in the business of education and training in the arts and academic arenas. This flourishing arts’ school is the South African equivalent of the La Guardia High School for the Performing Arts, which forms the setting for the musical “Fame”. It is a historically and culturally rich school that was born out of the amalgamation of The Johannesburg Art, Ballet, Drama and Music School and the Hoërskool Die Kruin.
The NSA, as a designated School for Excellence, plays a very important role in creating the performers and artists of the future, as well as generating enthusiasm for and understanding of the arts field. It is a vibrant, multi-cultural institution which reflects the demographics of the province and which draws many talented learners from previously-disadvantaged backgrounds to develop their skills and hone their talents. It has been a leader in stimulating cultural growth in Johannesburg and in providing workshop, outreach and developmental projects in order to ensure that skills and resources are shared profitably with the community. With its superior hostels, it is able to provide a home away from home for 650 learners from Gauteng and further a field.
- Festival of Fame, now in its 13th successful year, provides a welcome opportunity to forge mutually beneficial relationships between local schools, learners, teachers, artists and the NSA. We would therefore like to cordially invite you and your school to join us for an excellent cultural day out at FOF in 2014 which will take place between 26 February and 2 March 2014.
- The Festival will take place as usual at the Jo’burg Theatre as well as at various venues within the NSA. This unique school’s festival will encompass a wide variety of performances, workshops and exhibitions under the theme: Generation Imagination. As in previous years, the Festival will afford young, aspiring and emerging artists an opportunity to engage with professional artists and watch and learn from some of the best talent that Jo’burg has to offer.
- Our exciting workshop programme for high schools and primary schools will also allow learners and teachers to make use of this opportunity to complete some innovative Arts and Culture tasks under expert supervision. The Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement for Creative Arts in Intermediate and Senior Phases, expects every learner to experience live, professional theatre at least once a year. A finalised programme for 2014 will be sent to you shortly. In the meantime, we would appreciate it if you could add FOF 2014 to your school calendar and let us know at this stage if and when you might be interested in attending. A day ticket at R60 per person will give you and your school access to all shows and activities for one full school day. Food stalls are available but learners are welcome to bring their own packed lunches and enjoy a picnic on the field with scenic views of greater Johannesburg.
- Your early response will greatly assist us in being pro-active in our planning to accommodate all our patrons. Contact details: 011)339-6539 X 208, and Fax (011) 3393941 or email email@example.com,
- Tickets and information call the Festival office at +27 011 339 3941 or visit the website