International Piano Stars Festival (Pianisma Zvaigžņu Festivāls)
2012 Festival Poster.
Click on any image to zoom in
|Country and Region||Latvia — Liepaja|
|Type of Festival||Music|
|Location of Festival||Liepaja, Liepaja, Latvia|
|Festival Contact Information|
Liepaja Symphony Amber Sound Orchestra
The International Piano Stars Festival is celebrating its 20th anniversary. The festival has been held since 1993. The festival has not only become the cultural highlight of the year in Liepaja, but it has also earned the status of one of the best and prestigious music festivals in terms of professionalism and artistic value. In terms of content, this festival is one of a kind in the entire Baltic region.
More than 150 pianists from about 30 countries have participated in the festival. There have been participants from Europe, Asia, North and South America, Australia and other countries. We have had the privilege of seeing such artists as Julian Joseph, Mikhail Voskresensky, Freddy Kempf, Noriko Ogava, Robert Mitchell, Christina Ortiz, Dmitrij Bashkirov, Stanislav Igolinsky, Brigitte Engerer, Lazar Berman, Rolando Luna, Chano Dominguez, Eldar Djangirov and many more.
The International Piano Stars Festival ensures residents of Latvia with a high quality live performances. The successful cooperation with the foreign soloists and conductors has made the world aware of Latvian culture. The unique charm of Liepaja combined with the charisma of soloists and conductors, and the sound of Liepaja Symphony Amber Sound Orchestra attracts thousands of music devotees from Latvia and many other countries as well.
|Festival Dates||March 9 - 18, 2012|
- The International Piano Stars Festival ensures residents of Latvia with a high quality live performances. The successful cooperation with the foreign soloists and conductors has made the world aware of Latvian culture. The unique charm of Liepaja combined with the charisma of soloists and conductors, and the sound of Liepaja Symphony Amber Sound Orchestra attracts thousands of music devotees from Latvia and many other countries as well.
- The 20th anniversary of the Piano Stars festival will be marked by performances of great pianists from previous festival years:
- French pianist Brigitte Engerer
- Lithuanians Petras and Lukas Geniusas
- Representative from Russia Anton Lyakhovsky
- For the first time the concerts in Latvia will be given by a wonder child 11-year-old Umi Garrett from USA
- wonderful Cathy Krier from Luxembourg and other pianists
- and many other pianists who are appreciated by the audience
- Solo concerts in Liepaja will be given by
- Piano duet from Belarus — Natalia Kotova and Valery Borovikov
- Chopin Music master Pietro de Maria from Italy
- The brilliant Polish pianist Beata Bilinska
- World and Latvian premieres
- The festival public will also experience the world premiere of Latvian composer Rihards Dubra’s Liepaja Concerto No.3
- For the first time in Latvia we will hear piano concerto No.2 of the famous Polish composer Wojciech Kilar
- International jazz
- On its anniversary the festival will offer very extensive international concert for jazz fans — the Liepaja Symphony Amber Sound Orchestra (Latvia) will perform its concert program together with the great Danish jazzman Nikolaj Bentzon who will at the same time play the role of a pianist and conductor. The concert will be supplemented by the silky voice of Amber, a Latvian singer, Greek contrabass player from New York jazz circles Petros Klampanis as well as the great Latvian percussionist Artis Orubs. For the first time the festival audience will hear a concert by internationally known Latvian ensemble “Xylem Trio” which consists of brothers — Oskars Petrauskis (saxophone) and Raimonds Petrauskis (piano) as well as Rihards Zalupe — they will offer a jazz concert programme “In The Mood of Giya Kancheli”, which was once highly evaluated by Kancheli himself the time he was in Riga.
- Full information
- The festival programme and the descriptions of pianists are available under the section “festivals” in http://www.lso.lv, a webpage of the Liepaja Symphony Amber Sound Orchestra, the festival organizer.
- Tickets to the festival concerts can be purchased in all “Bilesu Paradize” ticket outlets at http://www.bilesuparadize.lv.