New York Musical Improv Festival
|Country and Region||United States — New York|
|Type of Festival||Drama|
|Location of Festival||New York, New York, USA|
|Festival Contact Information|
Magnet Theater presents the first annual New York Musical Improv Festival each November at 254 W. 29th Street, ground floor (between 7th and 8th Avenues), NYC. “Musical Improv in all of its forms has become a vital part of New York City’s comedy scene. This challenging form of improvisation puts top musicians, singers, actors, comedians and even dancers through their paces, challenging them to create music, lyrics, and movement on the spot. Audiences have responded to the excitement and urgency of seeing these exceptionally talented singers and musicians creating something amazing - from scratch. This festival will celebrate a broad range of styles and bring together performers from top comedy theaters,” said T.J. Mannix, founder and co-producer of the New York Musical Improv Festival.
|Festival Dates||November 1 - 6, 2011|
Magnet Theater arrived to further define Chelsea’s “comedy corridor” in March of 2005. Founders Armando Diaz, Ed Herbstman, and Alex Marino came together with the common goal of teaching improvisation and sketch writing, while developing and presenting fantastic comedy shows and other diverse entertainments and art. Magnet Theater’s founders studied under long-form Chicago improv guru Del Close at ImprovOlympic and have since helped to shape the New York comedy scene dramatically through teaching, performing and presenting comical theatrics individually and together.
- Who will take part?
- Over 150 performers from across the country will be converging on the Magnet Theater — from San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, Austin TX, and across NYC to create fully improvised musical performances — from traditional musical theatre to the cutting edge. The Magnet Theater is recognized as the center for musical improv study and performance in the US.
- Baby Wants Candy (NYC), Clown Car to Sicily (Chicago), Tale of Two Genres (UN-Scripted Theatre Company, San Francisco, CA), The BEATDown - featuring Chris “Shockwave” Sullivan and Victor Varnado (UCB, NYC), Glennis McMurray’s “Dream Team” Show (NYC), Trudy Carmichael’s Musical Mixer (Las Vegas/NYC), The Made-Up Musical (Magnet Theater, NYC), Tara Copeland (Los Angeles), Jill Bernard’s Drum Machine (HUGE Theatre, Minneapolis, Minn.), Beees (Magnet Theater, NYC), Diamond Lion (UCBeast, NYC), North Coast (NYC), Aquarius (Magnet Theater, NYC), Reset List: An Improvised Rock Experience (Chicago), Girls Girls Girls Improvised Musicals (Austin, TX), Stacked (Chicago), Rosencrantz (Magnet Theater, NYC), Hidden Falls (Improv Boston, Boston, MA.), Vox Pop (Washington, D.C.), Happy Karaoke Fun Time (Annoyance Theater, Chicago), Choral Rage presents: The Rock Opera (Magnet Theater, NYC), Mansical (Chicago), A/C (the P.I.T., NYC), Mikki Hommel (The National Underground, NYC), Wilder and Wilder (Voodoo Comedy Playhouse, Denver, Colorado), VEAL (NYC), Proverbial Loons (Castillo Theater, NYC), Hello (the P.I.T., NYC), and Mint Condition (Magnet Theater, NYC).
- The New York Musical Improv Festival also featuring up and coming performers in the NYMIF Initial Public Offering (I.P.O.). Performing this year are Alfred (Columbia University, NYC), American Idlez (The P.I.T., NYC), Dumpster Tequila _(The Player’s Theater, NYC), _Hit and Run Musical Improv (Voodoo Comedy Playhouse, Denver, CO), Meaningul Touch (Magnet Theater, NYC), and 10 £ Ally (NYC).
- On Sunday, November 6, 2011, the Festival presents a performance to benefit Gilda’s Club New York City to raise funds and awareness for people living with cancer.
- Magnet Theater
254 W. 29th Street
Located between 7th and 8th Avenues
- For more information visit