Here are some tips from the KadmusArts festival producers, artists and fans to help you maximize your festival experience by staying healthy:
- When you arrive at a festival, locate the health tent or service center. This way, in case of emergency, you and your friends will know exactly where to go.
- Drink water. Drink plenty of water. Drink tons of water.
- Respect the feelings of your stomach. If your stomach feels full, don’t try to jam in more food and drink. You’ll pay for it later and probably miss the best nighttime acts.
- A festival is the best kind of marathon and you want to be there at the finish. Why let the sun drain you of all energy? Use plenty of sun screen to keep your skin from burning and your body ready for the outdoors. Every couple of hours add more lotion. Plus, your skin will stay young and healthy. And another benefit: After the long and winding road, you won’t be referred to as some strange kind of reptile in your old age.
- Fashion is not just for bald guys! Wear a hat. Your hat can be funky, ridiculous, American baseball style, or say “I’m usually out taking the rapids down the river”. It doesn’t really matter as long as the hat protects you. Every one will see your flowing locks in the evening. In the meantime, a hat will help to keep your body fresh and cool in temperature and looks.
- Someday the hand sanitizer industry will discover KadmusArts and pay for complete sponsorship of the site. No matter, we will keep promoting hand sanitizer as health officials at festivals all over the world say that washing your hands is one of the most important ways to help prevent the spread of germs. Hand sanitizer is quick, easy, and now even comes in refreshing smells.
- If the guy on stage has lots of piercings, hair spikes, and heavy boots you may want to stand out of the way if he decides to try stage diving.
- If you get the urge to crowd surf, take care of those below you who, after all, are only trying to help you surf from one group of hands to another.
- Don’t forget to go to sleep. Your mother was right: a good night’s sleep helps your body resist illness. You can relive your childhood when you fell asleep to the grown-ups’ partying downstairs; go into your tent and catch some sleep while the revelry continues around you.
- Worth repeating: Drink water; Drink plenty of water; Drink tons of water.
- The best way to have festival fun? Stay healthy so you can enjoy the festival from beginning to end. Follow the KadmusArts mantra: Live a Festive Life!
- Oh, and if you see a guy trying to your take your picture from the bottom of a port-a-potty, shut the door, get a cop, and be grateful that you have a real life.
- Bill Reichblum
More KadmusArts Essential Festival Tips from our fellow festival travelers: